Tuesday, November 30, 2021
Slider
Home South Asia International Criminal Court investigating war crimes by Taliban

International Criminal Court investigating war crimes by Taliban

Taliban forces that have taken control of districts in Afghanistan’s southern Kandahar province have detained hundreds of residents whom they accuse of association with the government.
Human Rights Watch said the Taliban have reportedly killed some detainees, including relatives of provincial government officials and members of the police and army.
The watchdog body said that after Taliban forces took control of Kandahar’s Spin Boldak border crossing with Pakistan on 8th July 2021, and the Spin Boldak district center on 16th July, they conducted searches to identify residents who have worked for the local government or security forces.
Taliban forces that control areas around Kandahar city have carried out similar searches and have evicted some residents.
Taliban have taken more than 300 people into custody and have detained them in unidentified locations.
“There are grave concerns that Taliban forces in Kandahar may commit further atrocities to retaliate against the government and security forces,” said Patricia Gossman, Associate Asia director at Human Rights Watch. “Taliban leaders have denied responsibility for any abuses, but growing evidence of expulsions, arbitrary detentions, and killings in areas under their control is raising fears among the population.”
The International Criminal Court is currently investigating allegations of war crimes and serious human rights abuses by all parties to the conflict, including the Taliban. Taliban commanders who knew or should have known about abuses by forces under their control and took no action to prevent or stop them are culpable as a matter of command responsibility.
“The UN, US, and other countries engaged in the peace talks should urgently call on the Taliban leadership to stop these killings and other abuses,” Gossman said.
At Spin-Boldak, the Afghan officials found the dead bodies of over 100 civilians — while the fate of the around 300 civilians abducted was not known.
The Taliban have told members of the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces (ANDSF), including police who have been the principal security force in Kandahar, to register with them to receive letters guaranteeing their safety, a local activist reported.
Those who registered are required to report to the Taliban once a month. Taliban forces have gone to the homes of some ANDSF members who had registered, taken them into custody, and killed an unknown number of them. In one case, on 9th July, the Taliban shot and killed a man named Nangiyali, in front of family members. He was a resident of Sarposa, Kandahar, who had previously worked with the police.
Media reported that on 19th July, Taliban forces shot and killed two sons of a provincial council member, Fida Mohammad, who had reportedly had a close relationship with the late Kandahar police chief, General Abdul Raziq whom the Taliban killed in 2018.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Ranveer brings India’s greatest cricket story alive in ’83’ trailer

The trailer for Ranveer Singh-starrer film '83' is finally revealed bringing alive one of the most memorable moments of Indian cricket.Ranveer plays the role...

After declaring amnesty, Taliban hunt down Afghan security forces

The Taliban immediately executed some former security force members in front of their families or have left their bodies where they were likely to...

Pakistani model apologizes after her barehead photoshoot at Kartarpur Sahib Gurdwara triggers row

A Pakistani model has triggered controversary with her “barehead” photoshoot at Gurdwara Darbar Sahib in Kartarpur that has hurt the sentiments of the Sikh...

WHO: Delta variant still responsible for 99% of Covid-19 cases globally

While the world is on high alert due to the new Omicron Covid-19 strain, Delta variant continues to be a major cause of the...

Recent Comments