In Ontario, officials found out 2 cases, a woman who returned to Kitchener, Ont., from Italy and a man who returned to Toronto from Iran.
The woman in her 50s went to Grand River Hospital’s emergency department in Kitchener, Ont., on Tuesday after returning from Italy. She was sent home and remains in self-isolation with mild symptoms.
In the second case, authorities say the man in his 60s went to the emergency department at Toronto’s Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre on Saturday. He was also sent home and remains in self-isolation.
Ontario’s chief medical officer of health says the total number of cases in the province has now reached 22.
Dr. David Williams says everyone who have been tested positive for the virus so far has been isolated.
Quebec public health officials say the province’s second presumptive case of the new coronavirus which involves a traveller returning to the province from India.
The province’s Health Department announced today the man was initially cared for at the hospital in Mont-Laurier, northwest of Montreal, after exhibiting symptoms.
The department said out in a statement that the patient was transferred to the Jewish General Hospital in Montreal Wednesday and is currently hospitalized at the facility, one of four centres in Quebec designated to deal with the virus.
Officials are saying that they are trying to retrace the patient’s movements before he went to the hospital.
Tests being performed by the province’s public health lab came out positive for the coronavirus that causes COVID-19, but the result needs to be confirmed by the National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg.
There are currently 36 confirmed cases in Canada.