Category Archives: Slideshow

Can beat anyone if I am fit, says Mary Kom

mary kom

New Delhi, Nov 9 (IANS) Having won gold at the Asian Championships after returning to her favourite 48 kilogram category, star Indian boxer M.C Mary Kom asserted that she can defeat any opponent as long as she is fit.

“If I am fit, nobody can touch me. Nobody can beat me easily. As long as I am training hard and my body is fit, I can beat anyone, bring it on,” the five-time world champion told the media here on Thursday.

Farhan urges sexual harassment victims to open up

Farhan-Akhtar

Mumbai, Nov 8 (IANS) Multi-talented Bollywood celebrity Farhan Akhtar, who is vocal in his support for gender equality, says there is no point in targeting only the film industry for perpetuating sexual harassment as it exists everywhere. However, he urged the victims to come out and talk about it openly.

Farhan, along with film director Feroz Abbas Khan and Poonam Muttreja of the Population Foundation of India (PFI) were here together on Wednesday as a part of the social campaign ‘Bas Ab Bahut Ho Gaya’ that is organising a concert titled ‘Lalkar’ to address the issue of sexual violence against women.

At a time when several women in Hollywood have come forward to voice their experience with sexual harassment in the field, Bollywood has been fairly quiet about it. People have spoken about the casting couch and some women celebrities joined the #MeToo campaign, but not many men have spoken out and women, especially budding actors, who may have even faced it, fear taking names.

Himachal polls see 74% turnout, highest in four decades

Himachal

Shimla, Nov 9 (IANS) A record over 74 per cent, highest in four decades, of Himachal Pradesh’s 50.25 lakh electorate on Thursday exercised their franchise in the assembly elections where the ruling Congress and the BJP were locked in a straight contest.

“The percentage is expected to go up further. This is the highest poll percentage recorded by the hill state in assembly polls,” Dilip Sharma, Director General, Election Commission, told reporters in New Delhi.

Election officials said the polling was peaceful and no major untoward incident was reported from the 68 seats.

Odd-even scheme to be back in Delhi next week

odd-even

New Delhi, Nov 9 (IANS) With the national capital facing an environmental emergency as pollution levels worsened, the Delhi government has decided to implement the third phase of the odd-even traffic rule from November 13 to 17, state Transport Minister Kailash Gahlot said on Thursday.

“Air pollution in Delhi has crossed the ‘severe’ level. That’s why we are bringing back the odd-even plan,” Gahlot told media persons here.

He said the modalities of the scheme would be the same as earlier, with similar timings and exemptions: private vehicles with odd registration numbers would be allowed on odd dates and those with even numbers on even dates between 8 a.m and 8 p.m, and there would be no restrictions on weekends and public holidays.

“We don’t have a lot of time left to design the whole programme, hence we are going ahead with the rules that were imposed in the previous two phases,” he said.

The first phase of the odd-even rule was implemented by the Delhi government from January 1 to 15 and the second phase from April 15 to 30 last year.

The rule would not apply to the CNG and electric cars, two-wheelers and the cars driven by women with a male companion not above 12.

Vehicles for medical emergencies, occupied or driven by people with disabilities, VVIPs and enforcement cars would also be allowed to run on all days.

Gahlot cited increasing public transport facilities as one of the ways to help the public during the upcoming five-day traffic rationing scheme.

“DTC will hire 500 buses from private vendors at the previous rates. We have also requested the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) to push the feeder bus service,” he said.

Gahlot informed that Indraprastha Gas Ltd (IGL) stickers for cars would be available 2 p.m onwards from Friday at 22 CNG stations across Delhi and urged the people to cooperate in the implementation of the scheme.

“I appeal to the people, all agencies and the police to cooperate in these hours of crisis,” he said.

The Supreme Court-appointed environment body Environment Pollution Prevention and Control Authority (EPCA) and the Delhi Lt. Governor on Wednesday instructed the Delhi government to stay prepared to roll out the odd-even car rationing scheme, with air pollution levels reaching alarming levels.

Emirates Airline posts $452mn profit

emirates

Dubai, Nov 9 (IANS) The world’s biggest long-haul carrier, Emirates Airline, on Thursday said it has posted a profit of $452 million, an 111 per cent increase, in its first six months of fiscal 2017-18.

The Dubai government-controlled airline attributed the increase to the easing of the US dollar and “enhancement of efficiency”, reports Xinhua news agency.

About 29.2 million passengers were carried from April to September, a 4 per cent increase. Emirates is the top client of the Airbus A380 Superjumbo.

Didn’t realise how far we have come: SRK to Karan Johar

shah-rukh-khan

Mumbai, Oct 28 (IANS) Superstar Shah Rukh Khan says he did not realise how far his partnership and friendship with filmmaker Karan Johar has come with the upcoming film “Ittefaq Se” being the duo’s tenth co-production.

Featuring actors Sidharth Malhotra, Sonakshi Sinha and Akshaye Khanna, “Ittefaq Se” has been co-produced by SRK’s Red Chillies Entertainment and Karan’s Dharma Productions.

On Saturday, Karan tweeted: “‘Ittefaq Se’ is our 10th collaboration together Shah Rukh. My family, my friend and with ‘Ittefaq Se’ my true partner in crime! Love you Bhai!”

In response, Shah Rukh wrote: “Wow so many works together didn’t realise how far we have come. May our partnership flourish.”

They have earlier collaborated for films like “Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham…”, “Kal Ho Naa Ho”, “Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna”, “My Name Is Khan”, “Student Of The Year” and “Dear Zindagi”.

Rohingya exodus to Bangladesh continues

Rohingya1

Dhaka, Oct 28 (IANS) The influx of Rohingya refugees arriving in Bangladesh after fleeing violence in Myanmar continued on Saturday despite the two countries signing an agreement to stop the exodus.

“I do not see that the Rohingya influx has stopped. Normally, 1,000 to 2,000 Rohingyas enter Bangladesh daily, and it is continuing,” Shah Kamal, secretary of the Ministry of Disaster Management and Relief, told Efe news on Saturday.

“The influx did not stop. We cannot even say it has slowed down.”

According to the official, at least 500 Rohingyas entered the county on Friday.

He said that in the last four to five days, 500-700 Rohingyas had been arriving every day.

“We do not see any change in the number of Rohingyas entering Bangladesh after the agreement.”

In its latest report on Friday, the UN Inter Sector Coordination Group said that around 605,000 Rohingyas had arrived in Bangladesh in the last two months, excluding around 1,125 who had arrived a day before and had not been counted as they were still in transit.

The crisis began on August 25 when an insurgent group of the Rohingya Muslim minority staged a series of attacks on police and army posts in Myanmar’s Rakhine state, to which the Myanmar military responded with an ongoing large-scale offensive.

Myanmar does not consider the Rohingyas to be citizens, while Bangladesh, where around 300,000 Rohingyas were living before the start of the current crisis, also treats them as foreigners.

Massive military action if Pyongyang attacks: Mattis

J Mattis

Seoul, Oct 28 (IANS) Visiting US Secretary of Defence James Mattis warned on Saturday that North Korea will be defeated with a “massive military response” if it attacks his country or its allies.

He said he “can’t imagine” accepting North Korea as a nuclear power, reports Yonhap News Agency.

“Make no mistake, any attack on the United States or our allies, will be defeated,” he said at a joint press conference with his South Korean counterpart Song Young-moo after their talks here.

“Any use of nuclear weapons will be met with a massive military response.”

His remarks came after the conclusion of the 49th annual Security Consultative Meeting (SCM) between the US and South Korea, held at the Defence Ministry.

He pointed out the allies’ coordination has taken on new urgency as North Korea has accelerated its threats with “illegal” and “unnecessary” nuclear and missile programmes.

The North’s military is overmatched by the allies’ combined defence posture, he stressed.

“If it remains on its current path of ballistic missiles and atomic bombs, it will be counterproductive, in effect, reducing its own security,” the Pentagon chief said.